Thursday, December 22, 2011

There is no I in TEAM...but there is an Understood US

Then (June '06)...On our honeymoon in St. Lucia...
ummm we look like teenagers!!
Looking back on this past year, the importance of TEAMWORK in raising Ella is immeasurable.  Brent and I have certainly joined forces over the past 12 months as Team Mommy and Daddy.  I don't think any book or any class can prepare you for the amount of teamwork you will need with a new baby...but it's a lot.  I can honestly say that I am so incredibly blessed that Brent is my partner in this journey.  He has supported me  and always puts his family first no matter what.  I couldn't do this without him.

I think what I learned most this year about our marriage is what a dedicated husband Brent truly is. I knew this before, but there is nothing like watching your husband spring into action as a Daddy to make you realize the kind of man he truly is. When he comes home, he doesn't just lay down on the couch and wait for dinner to be served.  He plays with Ella, helps feed Ella, bathes Ella, gets Ella ready for bed, and reads her stories while I clean up.  He never complains about changing a diaper or cleaning up spit up.  He's in tune with what Ella needs and meets those needs without me asking him to.  He helps with the laundry, cooking, and cleaning.  I am so fortunate that I am married to a person that knows that there is an understood "US" in team.  Many girls are not so fortunate.

Now (Nov '11)...Brent and Kristen + Ella = 3!!
Working together as a team makes for a stronger marriage.  We are committed to the same goals and can relate to the daily stresses and joys that come along with all the duties of parenting because we're doing it together.  It allows both of us to have a sounding board when something new comes up, because both of us know Ella to a T.  At the end of the day, it makes us feel more connected to one another because we know we're in this together.

I am so grateful for my teammate, Brent.  Through the laughter, joy, excitement, tears, ups, and downs, it's always reassuring to have him by my side.  I thank the good Lord for sending me Brent!  Brent knows there is an understood US in team and selflessly partners with me on this journey through parenthood.  I love you B and thank my lucky stars for you everyday!!

3 comments:

  1. I loved it how Jake was SO proud to have never changed a diaper until his ped rotation 2 years ago....when I warned him that I was SURE he would have to...he admits he arrogantly said, "No, that's the nurses' job...." And I got that phone call on the way home from school 2 years ago....."so....I, uh, you were right. I changed a diaper."

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Kris!! This was so sweet! I am so happy that you and Brent found each other!! You ARE lucky, but so is he!! So glad you have chosen to share your precious Ella and your sweet life through your blog!! Merry Christmas, old friend!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete