| Me giving pappy "sugar" as he called it! |
![]() |
| Family reunion...Jason, Dad, Mom, Me, Granny, Pappy |
Yesterday was my Pappy's memorial service. He passed away the day before Thanksgiving. I wasn't able to be there yesterday for reasons I will get into at a later date, but that didn't mean I wasn't thinking of him. You see, time passes at a steady pace, in a blink really... but memories never fade. My fondest memories with Pappy were when I was little playing make believe. My favorite game to play with him was McDonald's drive through. I had this playhouse in the backyard and I would go inside the house and make "food" out of play-dough and he'd "pull-up" to the window on the right side of the house and place an order. I'd ask him to drive around to the window on the left side to pick up the order. I would deliver the order through the "pick-up window" on a tray and he would pretend to eat it and brag about how good the food was. We played this for hours...Pappy always thinking of a different combination to order to keep it interesting. I always found this to be so fun and he was such a good sport. He also loved to laugh and talk about things that were silly. He'd tell me to make sure my feet were good and clean because I didn't want to get "toe jam"..I thought this was hilarious. He pronounced the word Italian as Eye-talian and the word coupon as q-pin. Whenever we'd visit him in Memphis he'd make us these grand breakfasts that we always looked forward to. He loved to eat...he wasn't a small man by any means. Whenever we'd visit, Granny would make us these amazing chocolate cakes and somehow they'd start to disappear even though we hadn't eaten that much...yeah it was Pappy. Pappy loved to tell stories. He was a veteran and worked many years as firefighter for the city of Memphis. He loved his country, watching the news, was skeptical at best of politicians, didn't do well with change, and pretty much always thought he was right. He was a saver and preached the value of a dollar to us. He wasn't perfect, but his quirkiness was always something that made him truly unique. I loved my Pappy and he loved me. He always made sure he told my brother and me how much he loved his grandbabies (he called us this even when we were grown up). I didn't get to say good-bye in person yesterday, but that's okay, I know he understands...I already said a prayer asking God to relay a few things to Pappy in heaven...I know God made sure he received it. My biggest regret is that he never met Brent and Ella and I so wish he'd had. He would have loved both of them...he especially loved babies. We were suppose to go visit him sometime this fall but he got hurt and after surgery became unconscious on a ventilator. We didn't get to go in time and I have to accept that. I only hope he knows how badly I wish I could have seen him one last time.
Saying good-bye is never easy, but aren't memories wonderful? They give you something to hold onto that time can never take away. I'll always cherish the good times and know that I will see Pappy again healthy and happy in heaven. RIP, Pappy...I love you.

No comments:
Post a Comment