Over the past year, I have had a major shift in how I spend my days. I went from working full time to being a full time mom! Needless to say, some "social networking" time has become available since Ella was born. In social networking, I mean Facebooking...don't worry I'm not on creepy chat rooms or anything...FB is my extent. Here's the funny thing about Facebook...I was a FB hold out. That's right... for a whole year everyone was Facebooking and I was boycotting. As the end of college approached, I finally bit the bullet and joined...I mean I couldn't be the only one missing out right?? So I used Facebook moderately from 2005-2010. But, 2011 brought a transitional time for me and I found that after I fed Ella, read to her, played with her, took care of her...I had some downtime that needed something that could be interrupted, turned off, or pushed aside at the drop of a hat. I also needed something that I could do quietly because she wakes up from her naps at the slightest little sound. So, Facebook became my filler. At first I was embarrassed by this, but heck, I'll own it now. I have no choice...according to my brother, "I blow up his Facebook news feed" with my status updates, photos, and comments on other people's walls. He has jokingly (at least I think jokingly) threatened to "unsubscribe" to me because I'm everywhere. So, anyway, with all this FB time I've made some observations about how people utilize the site. Please do not take any offense to this. I too do many of the following:To spread wonderful news: There's nothing better than looking on Facebook and seeing someone excited about a new job, a new relationship, an engagement, a marriage, a pregnancy, or a new baby!! It's the quickest way to spread happiness!
To ask for support and prayers: By the same token, Facebook is an equally wonderful platform to ask for "global" help in one's struggle. I find this to be a truly humbling aspect of Facebook. With one status update, you can seek the help and prayers of others. I don't know how many people I have prayed for based on something someone requested on FB. It's a very powerful tool. God is in technology too.
For validation: People use Facebook to give a scenario and, in turn, hope to receive affirmation from their friends that their thoughts or actions are justified...i.e. I just spent way too much money on a pair of boots, but I've totally wanted them forever! Next thing you know, the person has 10 likes and 5 you totally deserved those boots type comments...and mission accomplished...you have justified buying the boots. Thank you Facebook.
To chronicle how much working out one does: Ugh...wish I was the one documenting my second workout of the day...but alas...it just makes me feel bad about myself. That's totally my fault, not yours. If I worked out all the time, you know I'd totally be "blowing up" Facebook about it!!
To talk about what one is cooking/eating: I just made the best _______________.... Can't wait to try this amazing recipe tonight... Or... I totally shouldn't have eaten all 5 of those cookies...ugh.
To let everyone else know what a "bad a**" partier one is: You know these posts...I had way too many shots last night....I'm so hung over....I partied like a rockstar. Enough said.
To spotlight your child/children: Okay...I think the alarm just went off and a bag of confetti was just sprayed in my face, because I am totally guilty of this. Facebook is the easiest platform to tell the world all about your child. Under the assumption that you are telling your 500 closest friends, you just want everyone to know how much you love your child and how wonderful you think he or she is. Not only that, other moms feed off of your enthusiasm and before you know it you have like a mommy support group fan base for everything you post!! Not to mention FB is an excellent way to keep family in the loop without having to call and report every little detail. This goes for grandparents posting about grandkids too!
To spotlight your dog/cat: Every good dog/cat mom or dad posts pictures of their four legged baby on FB...I mean who isn't proud of their furry friends??
To publicly display how much you love your husband or wife/ boyfriend or girlfriend: Whether it's a happy anniversary or just a full on affirmation of your feelings...FB is always helping couples spread the love.
To give public shout-outs or thank yous: I totally do this...you know, tag someone who has done something for you and making sure that he or she (and all 499 of your other friends) know you're grateful! It's a public display of gratitude-- and it makes the person feel good to see the "tag".
To vent: You've had a crummy day and you just want to vent...it's like free therapy. Not only do you get it out, but 5+ of your friends will give you encouragement and you'll feel much better as soon as you see all the red notifications pop up!
To call someone out in an indirect way: The person knows you're angry with them, perhaps other people know it too...but you say something like.... "I hate it when you think you can trust someone and you totally can't...glad to know who my true friends are" or "I wish I didn't have to learn the hard way that some people aren't worth my time." Just a reminder to the person that you are not over it. I see these from time to time...
To update others on the latest cool thing you're doing: Some people just have amazing lives. You're always going place to place! As someone who stays put most of time, it's fun to live vicariously through your travels.
And last, but not least...To share profound quotes: These quotes give us our daily food for thought and make us consider things like gratefulness, love, life, and self reflection...and prove that you do, in fact, have a deep side.
So...when you write it all down, Facebook is much more than a way to keep up with your "friends". It's free therapy, a prayer line, a newspaper announcement, scrapbook, journal, confrontation tool, a global thank you note, and a lot more! So, thank you, FB, for allowing us to do so many things with the click of a mouse...And for FREE! We use you for more than we could have ever imagined-- take it from a FB Junkie!
Love it!!! I've been a FB Junkie since 2005 and our relationship has morphed as my life has changed.
ReplyDeleteI think the working out comment was about me? :)
ReplyDelete