Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mother's Morning Out...Week 1

Day 1: Happy Camper
Please ignore the drool
she's teething!
Last Tuesday marked the beginning of Ella's Mother's Morning Out (MMO) school year.  We've been attending a wonderful church here in Savannah and the nursery director kept encouraging me to sign Ella up for the upcoming "school year."  At first I wasn't sure...I wouldn't have hesitated if Ella was older and could walk and talk.  But she's still a baby that crawls and can't communicate with words.  Was it right for me to send her there if I didn't really have to?  Let me clarify, I have nothing against daycare.  I realize most mom's are not able to stay home with their babies and that daycare is a must.  I totally respect that and agree...if I had continued teaching that was what I was going to do too.  But, I didn't have to send Ella to Mother's Morning Out...did that make me a slacker mom?

Day 1: Still playing...had to change
clothes b/c we had a very
messy diaper!
 Brent encouraged me to sign Ella up and was rather insistent.  He's kept Ella and knows that she is a full time job and said that I absolutely needed to get a short break twice a week.  After some debate, I filled out the paper work, wrote a check, and she was enrolled.  I was nervous about he first day--and feeling guilty too.  Would she cry?  Would she be overwhelmed?  As I packed her bag Tuesday morning I felt some anxiety.  This was my first time taking her to stay with someone I didn't know well!  I dropped her off--she didn't cry one bit.  She just starred at the other kids.  I gave her a kiss and walked out.  When, I returned at 1:00 her teacher, Miss Audrey, was holding her.  When she saw me she gave me a HUGE smile and I knew it had been a good day.  They told me how sweet she was and how well she did.  They also said she made a new friend--Annabelle (we thought about naming Ella, Annabelle...what a coincidence)!  Thursday morning was the same, Ella greeted her teachers with a smile, I handed her over, gave her a kiss, and walked out.  When I returned, she was sitting on the rug with the other children, chewing on another baby's shoe...yes kinda gross...but at least she was happy.

Day 2: Came home happy!
Practicing her new trick:
The Wave
What I learned this week is this-- Ella is happy as long as she can be around people and is taken care of.  I also learned that letting go is much harder for me than it is for her.  I'm grateful that she has an outgoing personality and feels secure in new situations.  I also realized that  I need this time too.  I need a chance to decompress and have some me time.  I came home and sat in the quiet house with a bowl of cereal and listened to the stillness.  I had forgotten what it felt like to be completely quiet and still.  I am able to get the house cleaned from top to bottom, work-out, spend time with the dogs, have me time, shower and put on make-up without rushing, run errands, and grab lunch with a friend during my time "off".  It's a nice change of pace and frees me up to spend quality time with Ella when she gets home.  MMO makes me a better mom because I have some time for myself. I think as a mom it's sometimes easy to sacrifice your needs for the needs of everyone else, so it's nice to have a little break.  MMO also helps Ella because it makes her more social and independent.  She loves other children!!  It's a win-win situation! :)  We will continue to enjoy Tuesdays and Thursday at MMO and I'll always be excited to pick Ella up at 1:00 and give her a big hug and kiss and see her bright smile.  I'd say my guilt about leaving her is gone and that this is certainly going to be a positive experience for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment