"It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary."
— Paulo Coelho


Ella reminded me of something this morning. Our morning routine goes something like this: Wake up at 6:30, take a bottle, play until 8:00, nap until 9:00, eat breakfast, play again. Ella thrives under structure. She needs to stick to a routine, so this is how most mornings go. Morning play time is one of my favorite things to watch Ella do. She loves to play. She squeals with joy and laughs with excitement. We pull out her word blocks, connector rings, stacking rings, balls, toys, baby lap top and cell phone, leap frog play table, etc. It always strikes me that she has so many toys. Between Brent and me, grandparents, and friends-- she has plenty to play with. I initially thought that Ella would prefer to play with the electronic toys-- you know, the ones that light up, sing, beep, buzz...but she prefers a simple toy over any others-- her bathtub word blocks. A pack of 25 costs $5 at Target and we use them in just about every scenario...during playtime, at restaurants, in the car, in the tub. They are multicolored and have pictures and sight words like cat, car, boat, ball, moon on them. She loves these things and they go everywhere with us. As I watched her play this morning it occurred to me that it was the simple toy that Ella likes best and found the most joy in. What a novel concept in a world where bigger and flashier are "better."

I took some pictures of her as she played joyfully with her blocks. The saying, "it's the simple things in life" repeated in my head. I started to wonder--what if I stopped to really enjoy the blue sky, a longer prayer, chirping birds, a walk around the block, coffee with a friend, planting flowers, or the sunset more often? It's not that I don't love those things now...it's just that the simple joy they bring is often overshadowed by the hustle and bustle of life. Maybe I too would find the childlike joy that Ella finds in word blocks if I would just take the time to enjoy the simple things in life and allow myself to be still for a moment--find the extraordinary in the small stuff. I know this isn't always easy, especially with a baby to take care of and a household to run, but I'm going to challenge myself to "stop and smell the roses"...just like Ella takes time to show special love to her blocks!

I never realized before I was a parent all I would learn from Ella. The funny thing is, I think I learn as much, if not more, from her than she does from me. I'm posting the pictures of Ella with the blocks this morning. Maybe it will challenge you to stop and enjoy the "word blocks" in your life!!
 |
| Some toy options.... |
 |
| more options...but... |
 |
See all the blocks that dot
the rug... |
 |
| In the end...it's always the blocks!! |
Can't wait to see her in action later this month! And I love the picture on your header- such a beautiful family you are! Love and miss!
ReplyDelete