Thursday, September 22, 2011

Baxter and the Missing Money


We have a thief amongst us in the Herrin House.  It's not me, Brent, Ella, Dolce, or Emma the Cat--so by process of elimination, you might guess-- It's Baxter.  Oh, Baxter.  What can I say?? He's our 105 lb. Marley-- we never know what to expect.  Over the past week he's eaten (and passed) 3 socks and has been repeatedly trying to sneak to get in all the trashcans to eat paper.  I think that I should have named this blog "Raising Ella Grace, Dolce, Baxter, and Emma"-- because around here it's a zoo and our pets are full time jobs too...especially Baxter.

So, here's the re-cap.  Ella and I spent an hour in Target stocking up on everything we were out of out our house...which was a lot.  The buggy was full and I was also dragging a new hamper behind me as I pushed the cart.  We get to the register and Ella is smiling at the cashier and babbling at her.  We were invited to a wine tasting last night at Garibaldi's (so yummy), so Ella's babysitter, Melissa, was coming at 5:30.  In an effort to be prepared to pay her in cash, I got $40 cash back.  This was an improvement over last time--I forgot that babysitters don't take debit cards like everyone else, so we had to stop at the ATM after our evening out.  Not this time, I was determined to be prepared!!  SO- I get my cash back, receipt, and a random coupon from the cashier--roll it into a wad and stick it inside of the diaper bag and proceed to load the car while watching Ella in the buggy.

We get home, unload, make a bottle, Ella eats some lunch, I let the dogs out of their pins, and have just begun play time with Ella when I subconsciously realize I hear paper rustling.  About ten minutes later, it occurs to me that the rustling paper was probably something important that Baxter got a hold of.  So,  I get up, only to find the diaper bag nuzzled open and the receipt, coupon, and ONE of the twenties on the floor.  The other twenty---gone!!  Baxter is approximately 10 feet away trying to look nonchalant.  But, I saw it in his eyes.  He ate the twenty!!  I was furious...but couldn't "prove" he had eaten it and they say there is no use punishing a dog if you don't catch them in the act.  I scolded him, but didn't do much else-- what could I really do at this point??  So annoying.  Anyway, so my trip to Target ended up costing me and extra twenty dollars :( and we still had to stop at an ATM after the tasting.

Lesson: Never leave anything important where Baxter can get it.  But here's a confession-- this lesson should have been learned a long time ago-- we have also lost two debit cards, a Macy's card, a Visa, my teaching certificate AND a voter registration card-- all eaten by Baxter (he stole them off our entryway console that is like 3 feet tall).  So, I take some responsibility in the incident-- I had been more than warned. But, I mean, come on--seriously, Baxter!! Some days I think Baxter is the most frustrating dog ever...other days he's not so bad.  But, He better have A REALLY good day today-- I'm just saying!

So another day, another (costly) lesson learned at the Herrin house...stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment