Monday, May 9, 2011

First Mother's Day...and the forgotten reflux medicine...

Ella and Mommy at Mother's Day Lunch!
Yesterday was my first official Mother's Day.  Brent planned out a lovely day...I got to sleep in, had a delicious lunch, spent the afternoon outdoors, watched a few episodes of Modern family, and he even put Ella to bed (which took over an hour)!  Sadly, we didn't make it to church because of Ella's church issue. I got an awesome new camera as a joint gift from Brent, his parents, and my mom.  It takes great pictures.  Brent actually went to Best Buy right after he finished Boards and spent an hour and a half talking to the "camera expert" about the best camera for me.  I thought that was really sweet...he was finally finished with Boards and was thinking of me :)  Such a wonderful husband.

I've yet to mention Ella on Mother's Day.  Mother's Day was a rough patch for Ella.  The morning was great, she woke up happy, Brent took her to the family room, and I went back to sleep.  Apparently when I fell back asleep, she was fussy and fought her morning nap, but finally gave in and took a nap.  Unfortunately, we totally forgot to give her her reflux medicine.  Bad call.  She was terribly fussy the ENTIRE day.  At five in the afternoon we were looking at each other like...oh my gosh, she has terrible colic again...oh no, no!!  Then we realized--she hadn't had her meds.  I give it to her everyday, but I had fallen back asleep.  When I got up, I showered, and we headed to lunch...didn't even think about it.  Well, that's a mistake we will never make twice.  Poor thing...for the record...she has terrible silent reflux.  The doctor kinda fought us on it...but we knew something was wrong...yesterday just reinforced that we were right.  So, we learned a valuable Mother's Day lesson--Ella MUST take her medicine daily.  We felt bad that she felt miserable all day...poor baby :(

Despite Ella's fussiness, I felt very blessed this Mother's Day.  Thanks to Little Ella, I have joined the "Mother Club."  Being a Mom is truly the most important job I'll ever do...along with being a good wife.  I never realized that you could love someone you just met SO much...but you do.  It's a love that is instantaneous, all-consuming, overwhelming, tremendous, and infinite.  Even on the hardest day, we wouldn't trade Ella or our life as a family for anything.  This Mother's Day celebrated the fact that at her best or her worst she is an amazing gift that God has blessed us with.  I love being her mommy--even when it's not easy--I think they call it a mother's love!!

But...don't you worry...we won't forget the medicine again.
Pretty happy!

Working on sitting on my own...fell over!

This is how I looked most the day :(

My partner in crime...daddy!



4 comments:

  1. she is so cute! she looks so happy in the picture with you, sorry about the colic. it should pass soon, right? what meds are you giving her? are you still nursing? happy first mothers day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, you are such a cute mommy and Ella is so beautiful. I know this is random, but have you tried giving her baby probiotics? Culturelle makes these little packets of child-size doses (and you can half it if you want if you think it's too much for her). I give Waylon a packet dissolved in a bottle of pumped milk or in his rice cereal (we've JUST started that at 4 1/2 months) and it REALLY helps his tummy. Both my sisters sons had really bad colic and reflux, and she found that the probiotics plus the reflux meds worked wonders. Just an idea! I only give him maybe one packet a day or every couple of days, but you could ask your pediatrician what they think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca- Thanks! The colic is actually A LOT better...she just has to have the medicine. But, she does have quite a strong personality. She does this "fake" cry when she doesn't like something now!! Still breastfeeding, but I do supplement with formula sometimes. She takes Prevacid 15mg once a day. It really does help. Happy Mother's Day to you too!! Just read your blog..the pics at the Country club are soooo cute!! And CA is a doll...I LOVE her cheeks!!

    Caroline- Hey Girlie!!! Thanks so much!! SO great to hear from you. Waylon is too cute for words. Congrats to you!!! I wanted to try probiotics and talked to my pediatrician and she talked me out of it. Another mom also recommended probiotics to me--and said it worked, so I would really like to try them. She's growing out of the colic (most of the time), but she has to have that reflux medicine. Also, the doctor said because of all her stomach problems to to give her anything but milk until 6 months--I see you are giving Waylon cereal too...I'm starting to think my doctor is a little too cautious. I wanted to give her cereal to help her sleep through the night and she said that wasn't a good idea either...hmmm. Thanks for the advice. I think I may try talking to her about this stuff again. Hope you had a great first Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris! Happy 1st Mother's Day to you! Glad to hear that you were able to catch up on some rest! Sorry your precious Ella wasn't feeling so well, and glad to hear that the medicine is working! xoxo

    ReplyDelete