I'd like to start this with a general observation from my oh so extensive 15.5 months of being a parent-- Teething is NO JOKE and by far one of the most underrated challenges of early parenting...at least at our house!
Ella has cut two out of four of her first molars...the ones on the left. Those came in a couple of weeks ago accompanied by grumpiness, tears, sleep-less nights, and at times, utter hysteria. We worked our way through it with tylenol/motrin, frozen chewing rings, cold cloths, and a combination of empathy for her and impatience toward the stubborn molars that took FOREVER to fully erupt. Luckily, they emerged, the storm calmed, and we resumed our closely regulated day to day routine. Sigh of relief.
Well...there are two sides to the mouth and two more first molar that need to come in...aaaaaaahhhhhh! And yesterday was the day they decided to make their presence fully known. The morning went great. We got up, ate breakfast, watched some Wiggles Dee (dancing), read some books, dressed Ella, ran some errands, and went to the park. By 10 o'clock it was nap time and I could see it was time to go. As I loaded Ella into the car, I could tell she was losing it. But, I wasn't too worried...I had just made her leave the park after all and it was nap time!
| Bye-bye park! |
| Patiently reading while I made her lunch...so far so good... |
| After 1 p.m....and about 1 hour into the teething meltdown...she would not let me put her clothes back on after I changed her diaper... |
At 3:00 a.m. that feeling proved to be accurate. We woke up to Ella crying. I said something along the lines of "No, no, nooooo" to Brent. You see, one thing I really count on during this pregnancy is a full nights sleep. I go to bed at 10 and wake up at 6:30. I guess you could say that I too am on a strict routine! When this routine is interrupted I get so tired the next day. Brent attempted to help her go back to sleep, but she was pretty much hysterical. That's when Mommy always steps in...not because he can't do it...just because it makes the process quicker. So I went in there and spent over a hour rocking her and singing to her--waiting for the tylenol to kick in. She was exhausted, I was exhausted. Around 4ish, the medicine provided her some relief and she was more calm and sleeping. I tried to lay her down...of course she woke up. I sort of ran out of the room and crossed my fingers. She didn't really cry. I watched her on the monitor as she played with her toys and then, finally, she fell asleep around 4:30 a.m. She was up again by 7:00.
I am more and more convinced everyday that being a parent, a good parent, means you have to act totally selflessly unconditionally, 24/7. Your baby is not going to ask you if you're okay with something or thank you for staying up with her all hours of the night helping her go back to sleep. There are no medals to be won or routine pats on the back, but every now and then you'll be surprised. As I got back into bed as quietly as I could because I thought Brent asleep. He rolled over and said, "You're a good mom, Kristen." And at a moment when I wanted to cry from exhaustion I felt a sense of pride because I really do try to be a good mom and even at 4 a.m. my wonderful husband had taken the time to tell me that. He's the best. After that, I rolled over with a smile on my face and went to sleep...but not before I prayed that Ella would sleep in a little later.
I got 30 extra minutes of sleep this morning. And, it's a new day! Ella woke up in a really happy mood. Brent took her out of her crib and changed her. Then I heard the pitter patter of happy feet into the bedroom. I was greeted by a huge smile and a big "Hey" from the sweetest little girl I know. Brent followed her in with a smile and a chipper "good morning". Despite being tired, and groggy, I consider myself to be the luckiest person in the world to have two beautiful people (soon to be three) to wake up to every morning. I may not win any medals-- but I do feel like I have the most important job in the world because I get to spend everyday taking care of my sweet family and that is truly rewarding!
But, teething can seriously take a vacation for a while.....
I hope you don't even need this but just in case...a friend of mine suggested Hurricaine Gel to me. Now I know they say to avoid oral numbing agents, but on really bad days I resort to this. (I've probably used it 6 times). It is such a miracle that Madison will go to her bag and pull it out then bring it to me when she needs it! INSTANT HAPPY BABY! Truly amazing. Also, Maddie really loves frozen peach slices when she's teething, and her dr. recently suggested fruit popsicles (the natral, no-sugar added ones of course). I don't know if the cold helps or the taste just gets her mind off it but both seem to work!
ReplyDeleteYou are a good mom, Kris!! Something that helped when my niece was teething were frozen waffles! Hope you have enjoyed some rest since the restless teething episode! XOXO!
ReplyDeleteI just love y'all - I think it's so important and endlessly reassuring to compliment and encourage each like that! I enjoy watching such a sweet couple.
ReplyDelete