 |
| Me giving Granny some sugar |
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" John 11:25-26
My Dear Granny passed away yesterday evening at the age of 86. After a very long time of being very sick, Jesus took her into the light of Heaven to be with her husband, daughter, parents, and brothers (one of whom she had not seen since he passed away from cancer as a child). What a GLORIOUS homecoming. I picture her in a beautiful, healthy body with her natural red hair flowing, perfectly in place with sunkist skin. No more pain, no more suffering only joy and peace. You see, if I could pick one thing that defined Granny it was her faith. She loved Jesus deeply and unabashedly. Her life was built around her faith even though she faced many struggles. Through everything, she was a devout disciple of the Lord and I know yesterday at 7:30 p.m. she was rewarded with the one the thing she wanted more than anything-- Eternal Life in Heaven. She was hands down the biggest influence in my spiritual life because she lived what she believed. One of the things I have always admired is someone who isn't just a Christian when life is good and happy. Even when times were tough, she remained SO faithful. As I work on my spiritual evolution, I hope to find myself becoming more and more like her. She never wavered and always trusted. Thank you, Granny for being such a wonderful example to us all!
 |
| Kristen and Granny--Love this pic of her! |
There were so many things I loved about Granny. She was as feisty as a little whip. Granny was a natural redhead although she kept it blond-- I truly believe she's who Ella got her red hair from--they are a lot alike. At only a little over 5 feet tall, you wondered how she stored so much spunk in that tiny body!! Granny was really funny... I love how she always kept her sense of humor. Even with Alzheimer's and terminal cancer, when I was visiting with her in October, I told her she looked so pretty. She said, "Oh, you know I'm just really, really old" and laughed. Always the whippersnapper!
 |
| Kicked back on the couch |
Granny had many talents. She was a beautiful piano and organ player. I have so many fond memories of being at her house as a child and listening to her play the organ and sing Amazing Grace while my brother and I played in the den. How comforting and reassuring are those memories and the words to that beautiful song in the wake of her passing. So lovely. She loved jewelry and getting dressed up. She was a wonderful baker and down home Southern chef. She would spend hours in the kitchen preparing soul food that trumps any I have ever had and will ever have-- Paula Dean has NOTHING on her!! She LOVED the ocean and being outside in her swim suit--even as a grandmother! She was a fish at heart. I could go on forever about my Granny...so many precious memories.
 |
| Granny and I sunbathing in the California sun! |
I'll leave you with one of the interesting stories about Granny...she had so many wonderful stories....and that was her tie to ELVIS PRESLEY!! Granny was a telephone operator in Memphis back in the day. Whenever Elvis would place a call he would ask to be connected to his little operator--a.k.a. my Granny. All the other operators knew that she was Elvis' operator and would transfer the line to her. They would talk and he'd tell he where he was or where he was headed. He was usually placing calls to his Mama. He told her if she ever saw him to let him know she was his little operator. Well...she did see him outside of somewhere in Memphis and wanted to go say hi and my grandpa told her to get back in the car that they were leaving. If it had of been me, I totally would have gotten out anyway, but Granny didn't and so Elvis never got to meet her, unfortunately, but I think it's cool that she was his "preferred" operator!
Dearest Granny, ENJOY every minute of heaven. Thank you for your unconditional love and for always making me feel special, loved, and beautiful. Please watch over Dad and help him to find peace in knowing you are in a better place. I know everyone up there will enjoy hearing you play the organ! Take a trip to the ocean you love so much and give Pappy a hug for me! I will meet you there someday-- I'm sure you will be an amazing tour guide. LOVE YOU ALWAYS and FOREVER!!
AMAZING GRACE....
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, That saved a wretch like me....I once was lost but now am found, Was blind, but now, I see.
T'was Grace that taught...my heart to fear.And Grace, my fears relieved. How precious did that Grace appear...the hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils and snares...we have already come.T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far and Grace will lead us home.
The Lord has promised good to me...His word my hope secures. He will my shield and portion be as long as life endures.
When we've been here ten thousand years...bright shining as the sun.We've no less days to sing God's praise then when we've first begun.
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,That saved a wretch like me....I once was lost but now am found, Was blind, but now, I see.
What a beautiful tribute, Kris! I'm so sorry for your loss, but so happy that she is no longer suffering! I love that SHE is where Ella got her red hair from! Love you!! You are in my thoughts and prayers!!
ReplyDelete