Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ear Infections and Sciatic Nerve Pain...

Nice 80's image...but the blog needed a pic!
{www.mountnittany.org}
February proved to be a sickly month for Ella.  She had two more ear infections, was "banned" from MMO (per Dr. Ben's advice), and will be seeing a ENT doctor later this month to talk about tubes.  Poor girl, she just can't catch a break.  She picks up EVERY cold at MMO and EVERY cold turns into an ear infection or a double ear infection because her ears don't drain the mucus.  Between the constant antibiotics AND the threat of hearing loss, it's time to do something about this.  I just hate the thought of my sweet baby going under anesthesia even if it is only for a short time.  But, I know that this a very common procedure and she will be okay.  We just need to stay focused on the fact that that we are doing what's best for her and have the faith that the surgery will go well.  She can't keep getting sick every other week and staying on antibiotics. Aside from the obvious negative of always being sick, Ella is also missing out on opportunities to socialize at Mother Morning Out.  We feel very strongly that MMO is SO beneficial for Ella's independence and interactions with others.  Because she is with me all day, every day, Brent and I believe MMO twice a week is essential for helping Ella develop into a well rounded individual.  She LOVES the other kids and her teachers.  Forfeiting this opportunity is very unfortunate because she has had such a wonderful experience at "school."  Dr. Ben suggested that while we are figuring things out with the ENT doctor,  Ella should stay at home instead of going to MMO to prevent ear infection #5.  So...I've been trying to do my best version of MMO here at home...singing and dancing to the Wiggles and other songs, reading, playing, going outside,  and eating fun snacks.  Obviously, she is still missing the peer interaction, which is unfortunate, but it's the best I can do.  She was sick for so long that she had to cancel 3 play dates with her friend, Hudson.  She's healthy now (knock on wood) so, hopefully, we will be getting together with Hudson and his Mom, Jen very soon!

In case you're wondering
what the Sciatic Nerve is here's a pic..
That whole red line from my back
to knee is where I hurt
{www.coreconcepts.com}

As for the Sciatic Nerve...that's my latest pregnancy issue.  Toward the end of Ella's pregnancy, I started having some occasional sciatic pain.  It was uncomfortable, but nothing unbearable.  Also, having to lie down for a month on bed rest really helped to alleviate any pain since I was doing absolutely nothing all day!!  But, pregnancy #2 has been ridden with HORRIBLE sciatic pain.  By Ella's bed time at 7:30-- I am out for the count.  Brent typically has to help me off the couch and sometimes to the restroom so I can wash my face and brush my teeth at night.  The doctor has given me some stretches to do and I am allowed to take Tylenol for the pain.  I must say, Tylenol basically does nothing...so I don't see any point in taking it.  There are more drastic measures that can be taken--physical therapy and pain medication--but I'm avoiding considering those right now.  A.) I'm doing my stretches religiously hoping that makes a difference so I won't have to go to PT and B.) I'm not about to take pain killers pregnant unless it's absolutely unavoidable. How could that be good for the baby?? At this point, I can make it through the day with Ella, do my daily chores,  make/clean up dinner (while Brent gets Ella ready for bed), and put Ella to bed.  The leg truly goes kaput as I limp out of Ella's room after I put her down.  At that point, I stretch then hobble to the couch or go ahead and get in bed.  By the next morning my leg is usable once again. I have always sat on my left leg since I was a little girl and the doctor thinks I may have some nerve damage.  I will most likely meet with a neurologist after this pregnancy and have a scan to see what is exactly going on.  Let's just say that I have learned that sciatic pain is NO JOKE and I'm only half way through the pregnancy.  I'm just praying it doesn't get worse!!

But all in all, life is good.  I can't complain.  Just hoping that Ella's ear problems are solved soon and that my leg holds up over the next 19 weeks.  I have truly gained a new appreciation for people who live with chronic pain.  It must be very difficult.  I know people live with MUCH worse than what I'm going through.

If anyone has suggestions about helping sciatic pain--I would love to hear them!  Happy Thursday!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment