| A blurry but recent "mug shot" ...see how sad and guilty he looks! |
What exactly is going on??? Well... In the past month he has become increasingly more needy. He will throw his huge head on you and FORCE you to pet him. He does not back off. He is less aware of his size and Ella's size and has knocked her down while being unruly on several occasions which is totally dangerous an unacceptable. He is becoming more neurotic and chews at himself constantly (he has flea meds, so it's not fleas). He tries to lunge through the glass door to attack our awesomely nice postman every time he sees him. He has become territorial and is becoming aggressive towards people entering the property. NO no longer means NO...he does as he pleases. And his most disgusting new behavior (as if the others weren't bad enough)...drum roll please...the dog who only had 1 accident as a puppy has started MARKING. It started with moving boxes and has moved on to mattresses and Ella's belongings. This makes me LIVID...I just can't tell you how much it riles me.
SO-- we've hit a brick wall. Baxter has got to SHAPE UP or literally we can't do it anymore. We are people that take responsibility for our animals. We have kept, cared for, and loved Emma Bear the Cat for the past 8 years even though we are not cat people and will continue to care for her unless she finds a wonderful home (**side note--she is still up for adoption). And we will continue to do everything we can to keep Baxter...we adopted him and want to follow it through...he is our pet. But, some days he just makes it so hard. So here is our next step...Baxter will be enrolled in a doggie training boarding school program when we move to Roswell that will last 2 to 4 weeks (depending on how long he needs). This program is not cheap, but we have to make the investment to rescue ourselves and him from this craziness. He will board with 2 other dogs also in need of
With Baby Girl #2 coming this summer, we have no time to waste on disciplining an out of control Baxter and we can't risk Bells getting hurt. We love him, but his behavior has got to go. Operation Chill Out Baxter starts in exactly a month...I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, I literally have to watch him like a hawk when he's in the house so he doesn't mark. I mean, I expect to have to watch Ella that carefully, but my 3 year old dog...not so much. It's really perturbing me. The only issue is, if we don't let him come inside or out of his kennel, his neurotic behavior worsens and the marking and the unruliness escalates...it's just a vicious cycle. Baxter, seriously...can you just chill out...seriously?? It would greatly be appreciated.
Poor dude! I'd say he is picking up on all the changes and is super stressed out:( hope boot camp works! Good luck.
ReplyDeleteTrying to be patient with him and reassure him. He's settled down somewhat from this morning. I'm sure boot camp will do the trick and it's a super loving, positive reinforcement based program, so I don't feel guilty leaving him!
DeleteHe sounds super anxious Kristen. He is definitely picking up on the change and probably sees it. He's marking because he is unsure of what is going on and going after the post man because he feels the need to protect his space, because it is changing. Aside from the training, he probably needs a lot of reassurance (e.g. that he won't be left behind, that you still love him, etc). When I pack for Atlanta, Baylee freaks out and follows me wherever I go and knocks into my hand to pet her constantly. I got her to stop this behavior by packing a bag with her belongings and leaving it by the door to show she was coming with. He'll calm down and it will get a lot easier once you guys are in your place in Atlanta. But you are definitely taking the right steps to get him there.
ReplyDeleteI know you're right, Lauren. I think that his anxiety is through the roof just when I need him to be the most relaxed. That is a good suggestion about the bag by the door. The trainer lady said that since our stuff was in boxes, to put some of his stuff in a box so he knew that he and his stuff were going too. Hopefully, he will relax some. This has really taken us by surprise because last move he didn't even seem to notice the packing and the boxes or get anxious. This trainer does look awesome and it's all positive reinforcement based with 4 training sessions a day and the rest of the day he gets to spend at doggie daycare, so I think he'll be super excited about that part. Thanks for the tips...hopefully things calm down soon! Let's grab lunch either here or Atlanta sometime soon! :)
DeleteHi Kristen! My boyfriend is a Ceaser dog whisperer clone and he's taught me over and over again that well behaved dogs become that way by (and in this order) 1.) exercise, 2.) discipline, 3.) love and affection. It sounds like Baxter is in dire need of some serious routine exercise? He will have less of a need (or energy) to act up if he's not restless or has pent up energy. I would try taking him for long walks or runs every day and see if that helps at all. Good luck! :) p.s love your blog! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sloane for your advice. I'm pretty sure you are SO right about the exercise. Baxter's exercise regime has really decreased since we had Ella. When I exercise, I bring Ella now and Brent doesn't take him as often as he use to. We SO need to do better about that!! The good news is the marking has stopped. We packed a box of Baxter's toys and laid it by the door so now he thinks he's going with us on the move and has stopped marking everything!! I feel guilty b/c with Ella, the dogs have slipped in priority and I know it's a hard adjustment for them. Wish we lived closer to your Ceaser Milan boyfriend!! So good to hear from you! Hope all is well in the Big D. Thanks for reading the blog!! :)
Delete