I know this is a blog about my sweet little girl, but this Penn State tragedy has me really fired up. I need an outlet. Let me start of by saying I am absolutely appalled and sickened by ANY HUMAN BEING that can hurt a child. I am angry that this Sandusky man used his position of power to sexually abuse young boys. I am angry that underprivileged children were suppose to be attending a program to improve their lives and they were so profoundly hurt in the process. I am angry that the world is this disgusting that so many people at Penn State University knew about it and did nothing but tell the man not to bring children to the campus. Puke. I am a teacher--I may be taking a hiatus--and I am a mother...children are my heart and my life. Sexual abuse against children is not something you reprimand and move on...it is a HEINOUS CRIME against a CHILD. It is a legal issue. Shame on you Penn State for not protecting children. If adults don't protect them, who will??????
As a teacher, I was a mandated reporter, meaning I was required to report any suspected abuse to DFACS (Department of Family and Child Services) immediately. If I did not do this, I would go to jail. I personally reported several incidents and did so without regret because it was for the protection of the child. While I was bound by law when I was teaching, I would absolutely report any abuse to DFACS/ authorities now if I knew it had happened. It's called a HUMAN CODE. Penn State staff-- where is your morality?? If you know a child was in the shower on campus with one of your coaching assistants, you call the police. Period. I have loved Joe Paterno for as long as I can remember-- actually adored him. He has been an excellent coach, mentor, and citizen...but here's the bottom line for me...he dropped the ball by letting this slide...everyone at Penn State did. It is a jarring reminder that we are always one mistake away from losing everything. And this was unacceptable mistake. But, you have ton be responsible for your choices especially when they involve protecting our children. The choice he chose to make by allowing this to be covered up, allowing Sandusky to remain on staff, and allowing the incident not to be reported to authorities enabled the situation with his inaction. It ultimately cost him and it should have. He wasn't the only one who did wrong, but he was one amongst the group. We are all worried about his amazing coaching career...well what about the 8 boys that are psychologically damaged by these sinister actions?? Unacceptable. It is just unacceptable.
Children need our protection, our love, and security in a cruel world. These poor victims got none of that. In fact, they go just the opposite thanks to the incompetence of those hired to represent Penn State. I am over people feeling sorry for the people at Penn State that made adult decisions with the information they had. I am worried about the victims who didn't have a voice and who have been deeply scarred.
I think the U.S. needs to make a push that all people, not just teachers and health care professionals, are mandated reporters. We need to protect our children first and foremost. Who cares about football when lives are being destroyed? This is absolutely intolerable and I am appalled that a university could be this careless and dismissive when it involved the precious lives of children.
No comments:
Post a Comment