Thursday, April 14, 2011

Catching Some Zzzz's

Ella will be four months old Sunday!  It's hard to believe that we will have had her in our lives for a third of a year already.  She's growing like a weed, but she she's still on the small side.  You wouldn't know it by her pictures though--she looks big in all of them!!  We must take some bad angles or something.  To give you a point of reference- the 0-3 month Baby GAP clothes she has still swallow her!  We go to the doctor on the 19th for her four month check and vaccinations. I'll be interested to see her percentile standings.

The four month check-up comes fully equipped with a milestone survey asking a million questions about development.  It's slightly overwhelming. Going through the list there are some things that we're like...oh she definitely does this- check!  Then other things she's not quite doing yet.  For example, does she laugh?  I say not really, Brent says yes.  She has this quiet little laugh she does, but I haven't heard a full on chuckle.  I'm just wondering what a baby laugh sounds like.  Is it hardy and definite like an adult's or more subdued and subtle?  Anyway...we have to get the survey filled out and turned in by her doctor's appointment.  Then, they'll "grade" it and let us know her progress.  I think she's doing great...but I guess the developmental survey will let us know.  Milestones just make me nervous.  Brent tells me to relax--why can't I just follow his advice??  If only I were capable of being laid back. 

Speaking of milestones...I have added a "milestone" that I think is super important to the milestone checklist.  Researchers must have forgotten this one.  Drum roll please: Ella has begun to take NAPS!!  Up until two weeks ago, she would wake up for the day at 7:00 a.m. and be awake until 10:00 p.m. that night.   She was not napping at all and was crabby as crabby gets.  Well, I can now say Ella takes TWO NAPS a day- check, check!!  We are proud parents about this one.  I've been able to eat lunch, do laundry, vacuum, watch tv, make necessary phone calls, take an occasional nap myself, dust, write thank you notes...it's been great!  In the rare event that Brent is home, we can actually have an adult conversation.  The best part about this is now when Ella gets grumpy, she goes in her swing and falls asleep.  She wakes back up smiling and ready to eat and play.  Yea!!

Several of you have asked for a colic update.  Well...The colic battle is far from won, but it's a work in progress.  We are seeing some real improvement here AND it's exciting.  My mom came to visit last week which was really special and we had a great time! Ella and Nana got to spend some quality time together and I got to work on some projects around the house.  Everyone was a winner!!  My mom was impressed by how happy and smiley Ella was (most of the time).  She was virtually colic free.  Ella really did enjoy all the attention she got from her sweet Nana and even cheerfully accompanied us on a five hour shopping trip. That's a sure sign of improvement!  The great news is that Ella's good days are far outweighing her bad days now!  All in all, the colic monster is shrinking.  Hopefully he'll catch a shuttle for Mars really soon.

You may wonder why I haven't mentioned Brent as much lately?  Poor guy, he has Dental Boards in less than a month.  He works 8-5 six days a week, comes home and eats dinner, spends a little time with Ella, and studies until 10:00 p.m.  We'll be glad when Boards are over.  I know he's missing spending time with his Ella Bean.  But, it will all be over soon!!  Ella and I are so proud of him.

All in all everything is going well at the Herrin house.  Ella's napping, Brent's working and studying, and I'm taking care of the household.  Life is good!
Example of how sweet Ella look when she sleeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment