Having Ella in my life has really made me reflect on the past more than I ever have before. I just want to do everything right for her. When I think back, I had a really happy childhood. My parents were always there for me and investing their time into our interests and making us feel special. I had (still have) the greatest younger brother in the world. I grew up in a swim and tennis neighborhood where I could swim with my friends any time I wanted during the summer. My house was next to the neighborhood park where we played until dusk each day. My backyard had a creek with a rope swing that you could swing out over the water on. I went to schools where I loved my teachers. I had friends that I loved and loved me too. We had many adventures and life lessons together. My friends' parents were wonderful too. I spent a lot of time with some fabulous families. I grew up in a church where I wanted to go each week (I must confess...I didn't love the church choir, but did it with my two best friends any way. We were too scared of the choir director to quit)! Through church I went on mission trips and learned about the lives other people had. I learned how lucky I was to have the things I had and the unconditional love I had. Childhood was great. I can honestly say I felt so loved by my parents and always knew that home was a place where I was loved for who I was.
So why do I tell you all this? Well, I realized something the other day. You never know what grown up life is going to be like. You never know if you will be dealt the lucky hand, the losing hand, or a hand you just don't know what to do with in life. What I am realizing is that adult life is hard; that's why childhood should be all the more blissful. I just know that I want Ella to grow up happy, care free, and loved. I want her to look back and say, "Growing up was a happy time!" I want her to have special memories just like I did. I guess while she's living at home with us and we can raise her in a home filled with love and happiness, I want us to give 110% to giving her a wonderful childhood!! Lately some things have been weighing heavy on my mind. They are "adult" things independent of each other that involve myriad of people I know. They have made me think about how difficult adulthood can be. I think about how growing up, you dream of being a princess, marrying a prince, having beautiful children, and living happily ever after. Some of us will get the happily ever after...the modified version at least...nothing is ever perfect. Some of us won't. But while Ella is young, innocent, and under our loving care, I want to give her the happy fairy tale the best we can. We won't be perfect. We'll make mistakes. But, when she looks back on growing up I want her to say, "I had an amazing childhood and was (and still am) so incredibly loved." Maybe knowing happiness and love will make her all the more ready to face the adult world when she's all grown up. We can only hope! I'll leave you with a quote that I can't remember who said it, but it's good. It's how I want Ella to feel-- her Mommy and Daddy are always behind her!
"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you."

Excellent post, Kris:). Church choir was terrifying...who would have thought? Loved sharing the awkward years of growing up with you. You are already such a wonderful mother!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Cris!! Church choir--Tyler and Mary Anne were terrifying..I'm just saying. It was great growing up with you too. As you get older, you appreciate more and more the people that have known you through all the stages of life!! We definitely had some awkward stages...and lots of fun too. You will be a wonderful mommy whenever you have a little one too!! :) XOXO
ReplyDeleteKristen, this had put me to tears. I feel the exact same way when I think about Beau. On Taylor Swift's new cd she has a song (#8) about wishing she'd never grown up and it makes me cry so hard! You are exactly right~ we feel like we can help to make our children have that perfect carefree life we grew up with, in the perfect neighborhood, with the perfect friends, ect... I just really hope that we can give that life to our children because you don't know what "adulthood" will bring. Ugg this just makes me cry! You are such an amazing momma to that baby! I love reading your posts! Thanks for letting me stalk! :)
ReplyDeleteErin, thanks so much. I actually thought about you and you wonderful family as I wrote this. You all were always wonderful to me. I haven't heard the new Taylor Swift cd--but it sounds like I need to go out and get it! Thinking of you and that wonderful Mom of yours! Love you all. And you are welcome to stalk any time. I stalk your blog...you are a wonderful mommy with a too cute for words little boy!!!
ReplyDeleteLove this post! So glad we could enjoy our childhood together- even happier I have you to lean on when adulthood seems too much. Love and miss!
ReplyDelete