Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Wild Thing...oops...I mean Ava Jane

You know those moments that stick out in your mind like they happened only about 10 seconds ago?  Here's one of them.  For context: I was in for my 6 week after baby check-up with the ob/gyn doc that delivered Ella.  At that point, it had been established that Ella had colic and that Ella was going to be a very strong willed little person.  I was discussing this with my doctor who had 13 children.  I'm not even kidding you...13.  And he said:




"Your next one...or next ones...will be calmer.  I have 13 kids and 4 of them had colic and turned out to be very strong willed.  The rest are pretty easy."

I don't know about you...but I always make rationalizations about things.  At that moment I heard the following... 1 in 4 children will have colic and be strong willed.  Since the MOST children I'd ever consider having is 4-- I decided that Ella was going to be spirited and every other child down the road was going to be laid back and easy. Riiiiigggghhhhtttt.  

So I am here to say that the 1 in 4 wild, strong willed child theory is not accurate.  Not in the least.  At least not for our family.  Oh Lordy.  Little Miss Ava Jane.  Here's a run down of the first 18 months with her.

-Crawling 8 months
-Walking Day #1 of 10 months
she can:
-scale any piece of furniture
-if you turn your back will be on the kitchen table
and as of last night...began escaping from her crib.

Mix all this in with the fact she is already talking in 3-4 word sentences and attempting to potty train all by herself.  She's a firecracker, go getter, determined beyond belief, a jokester, dancing queen, garbage disposal of an eater, dress-up guru, wild thing of a girly girl...and smart as a whip.  It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this little girl--- she really might end up queen of the world!!  

But the take home point of this blog post today is this: The chances of having a strong willed child are not guaranteed to be 1 out of 4... just thought I'd warn you.  But with that being said...I wouldn't have our girls any other way...okay except for between the hours on 7:30 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. each day. I mean it wouldn't be that earth shattering for them to stay in their rooms and sleep peacefully?!? Would it??

No comments:

Post a Comment