Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Welcome to the World Ella Grace!!
Ella Grace Herrin came into the world with a nice big cry on December 17, 2010! At 5 lb and 15 ounces, she was the most tiny, perfect person we had ever seen. Ella was a full month early and as the NICU staff stood by, we all waited for the precious, wonderful cry to tell us that her lungs were developed and she was ready to meet the world. I should have known she would be! After all, she's been our little miracle from the get go!
What many people may not know is having a baby was not an easy road for us. We knew we were ready for a little one, but knew it would be a challenge. I have a reproductive syndrome that does not allow me to ovulate on my own. So, a baby without fertility treatments was never an option. This was really hard for me at first. I felt like we would be good parents and all the emotional and financial stress just wasn't fair! I don't think God ever looked kindly on my pity party. After several months of things not going well and looking not so hopeful, I decided that what needed to change was my attitude. I had to accept that this was my journey and get over my bitterness. After my attitude adjustment, the next month the procedure worked- even though there was only a 5-15% chance it would. We were estatic and amazed! Part of me stayed guarded because I wasn't convinced that I wouldn't miscarry. They immediately called us in for a sonogram. I remember studying the doctor's face as he said, "You are pregnant." He looked concerned and skeptical though and never said why. They called me back later that day to ask me to come in again in five days. I knew they thought something was wrong.
The following Friday I went in and saw the female doctor in the group. She came in and told me honestly what was going on. The baby was measuring a week behind and typically the baby will miscarry if the growth isn't on track. I knew they thought that something was wrong and she had just confirmed it. She did another sonogram and the baby was still there with a beautiful heartbeat (and still measuring a week behind). At this point she called it a waiting game. I was upset to say the least. I had already bonded with my little miracle "bean". Then I realized something. They had the timeline a week off! I explained to the doctor why I thought this and she said I was right. We looked back through the computer at dates of certain progress markers and yes, I was right. What a relief. It was love at first sight for her daddy and me and we wanted her to be ours so badly!
I remained guarded. When three months came I finally told friends. By five months I felt much more secure. Five months is when we found out she was a little girl. We were so incredibly happy. We were having a little princess for us to love! We decided to name her Ella Grace. Grace was an important name for us. It meant God's unmerited favor. She was the gift that we didn't necessarily deserve, we weren't entitled to have her, and we certainly weren't owed, but God gave her to us anyway! By his grace, we were given Ella Grace.
The months flew by. We started to prepare for her arrival. Everything was going wonderfully. I had positive doctors visits and glowing sonograms! I was feeling pretty good and working full time. Then, at about 30 weeks I started feeling different. I told my friend Lisa that I had a feeling she was coming early. At 32 weeks I was admitted to the hospital for preterm labor. Brent and I spent 4 grueling days there. He never left my side. I can't tell you how much that meant to me. When you marry someone you say the vows, for better or worse, in sickness and in health and they seem so distant and unlikely. Fast forward almost 5 years later and you are laying in a hospital bed hooked up to IV's and machines praying that your unborn daughter will be okay. If she comes will she be ready? Will she be normal? You realize in the moments of doubt and fear that you've been given a gift of a wonderful husband. And the magnitude of this gift brings you to you knees to thank God and to always realize what a treasure you have. After four days, the contractions stabilized somewhat and I was sent home to do "restroom privilege only" bed rest. Basically, I could only get up to go to the restroom and shower each day.
I obviously needed help and Brent had to go back to work. This is when God took yet another opportunity to show me how blessed I was. My mom flew in from Georgia to take care of me. I hadn't gotten to spend that much time with her in ages. She fixed me meals, ran my errands, and most importantly, kept me company. I love my mom so much and she showed me that moms are always there for you-no matter how old you are. That's such a reassuring feeling. I will always remember the bed rest time we spent together and her example of what a mom should be! Thank you, mom!
By week 35 I was allowed to get up to make a PB&J sandwich and let the dogs out, so my mom went home. This is a good time to tell about my amazing friends here in Dallas. I have told many of you about the amazing school I work at. Not only is it a great school, but I have made some of my best friends in the short time I have been there. While on bed rest, God took another opportunity to show me how lucky I am- are you seeing a theme here? They brought me dinners, came by to visit me, graded my school papers, and made sure I didn't worry about work. Wow! I was truly humbled by how they cared for me. I will never forget the generosity I was shown and will always be sure to pay it forward.
I can't forget the support from all the Georgia people! I would definitely be amiss if we didn't give a proper thank you to all our family and GA friends too. Thank you for the encouraging phone calls, texts, emails, and cards. They brightened our day and once again reminded us to count our blessings. We love you guys!
On Friday, December 17th I woke up with contractions and knew she was coming for real this time. A month early, Ella was ready to make her debut into the world. I was a little worried, but knew she'd be okay. After all, she has a really strong willed mommy and daddy. Once again, I found myself in a hospital room with Brent by my side. Once again, he never left. Once the epidural kicked in, we talked and laughed. We wondered what she would be like and prayed that she would be healthy. We leaned on each other and he supported me through labor. I can't thank him enough for being there for me.
At 7:09 p.m. Ella arrived into the world. She came with a strong, healthy cry and we once again saw that thing called God's grace. This blog is for Ella and about Ella, but I had to start it off with her journey to get here. How we were constantly shown how blessed our lives are through a roller coaster experience. God certainly moves in mysterious ways. But, all I can do is thank Him for the journey. She was meant to be ours and we can't wait to watch her bloom and grow!
Ella was four weeks old yesterday. She's doing great. She has definitely found her voice and will let you know what she wants! We'll keep you posted all about her life. She is a little miracle and she will always be a reminder of the amazing grace that was shown to us- Our Little Princess, Ella GRACE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


yay! I love reading blogs! You should check out my blog too.
ReplyDeletethetallahasseebrowns.blogspot.com
I will add yours to my list so I can keep updated on your sweet little girl:)
That just made me cry..not hard to do these days, but what a special story! You are a great writer! And the feelings you expressed about getting pregnant and being pregnant are so true..espeically when it was a struggle. So happy for you, congrats!
ReplyDeleteKristin Brown
You should warn people not to read this at work... :) What an amazing journey the three of you have had! Will be fun learning more about her!
ReplyDeleteKris, this is such a precious story! You deserve this baby and you are already such a wonderful mother! I am so happy for you and Brent, but happiest for Ella Grace - she is one lucky baby to have you both by her side. Love you!!
ReplyDeleteI have to make another comment:) Before I just posted bc I wanted to say yay for you starting a blog. now, I just sat down and read it and started crying. Kristen, I had no idea you were going through all that! I am so glad you have a healthy and happy baby and I just love her name! I can't wait to hear more about her.
ReplyDeletekristin!
ReplyDeletewe have to keep in touch-- our little boy was five weeks early, too!! he is 7 weeks tomorrow...
i am glad i found your blog! i get to see what's in store for us a few weeks in advance.
email me! elisen@gmail.com
elise