Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Baxter's Gift

Ever since we told family and friends that I was pregnant, we have received many wonderful gifts.  Ella is a truly blessed little girl as she has been thoroughly spoiled during this process.  Along with these generous gifts came heartfelt cards with the most touching messages.  I saved every one of them in a keepsake box.  I want Ella to one day know how many people anticipated her arrival and celebrated in our happiness.  We are amazed at all the kindness and love we've been shown!

Ella has received wonderful gifts, but one of the most touching gifts she received didn't come in a beautifully wrapped package adorned with a card.  This gift came as a heartfelt gesture from her loyal dog, Baxter.

One day, Ella had a particularly rough colic episode.  She had cried and cried throughout the day and Brent and I were exhausted and frustrated.  Baxter had watched her cry with his ear slicked back as we tried to console her.  Finally, around 8:00 that night, I put her in her swing and we both went to work on some chores around the house.  I emptied out the dishwasher in the kitchen, while Brent worked on filling out some paperwork in the family room.  When I returned to the family room, I saw one of Baxter's tennis balls under her swing.

Before I continue, I have to tell you about his tennis balls.  Baxter has three old, dirty tennis balls that are his prized possessions.  We have bought him every toy under the sun, yet they remain his favorite.  He brings them in the yard when he goes out, and back inside when he comes in.  If one rolls under something, he will stand and whimper until we retrieve it for him.  He will drop them in our laps when he wants to play and lays next to them when he is resting.  They are his favorite thing in the world (besides Brent).

Now that you know how much he loves his tennis balls, back to the story.  I saw the tennis ball under the swing and thought it had rolled under there.  More importantly, Ella was quiet and had fallen asleep. Alleluia!! Just as I was about to go back to my chores, I saw something so touching,  Baxter came in from another room carrying another tennis ball.  He placed the second tennis ball under the swing next to the first and stopped to stare at her.  Then, he left.  Oh my gosh, he was giving Ella his tennis balls to make her feel better.  What a sweet gesture and loving dog.  He returned with the third ball and placed it under the swing, stared at her like "there you go, please don't cry anymore" and laid down next to the swing.  My camera battery was dead and I didn't get a picture, but we will never forget his gesture.

People who say animals don't have feelings are crazy.  He knew she has been upset all day and he wanted her to feel better.  He was giving her his most special thing in the world to help her feel better. He didn't bring her one of his less special, gently used toys- he brought her his very favorite. What if humans were like dogs?  When someone was down and out, they swooped in and gave their very best to help a friend out?  It's an interesting concept.  Through this little story I realized two things, 1) I think Baxter is the sweetest dog in the world.  That is lucky for him- he needs this quality with all the trouble he gets in! and 2) Lord, please let me be more like my dog- where I can stop and think about others needs before my own and give my best to others when they are down!  Thanks, Bax, for the lesson.
While this isn't the tennis ball story picture, it shows Bax in his favorite spot, under Ella's swing :-)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful, sweet story and lesson! I love reading the blog. I can hear your voice telling these stories!

    ReplyDelete