Monday, December 23, 2013

Time for your check-up, time for your check-up!

Friday afternoon Brent and  I tag teamed and took the girls to their 18 month and 3 year check-ups.  Ella loves Doc McStuffins and they both love their doctor kit, so the were all about going to the doctor that day.  Our doctor's office was recently remodeled so they got to play in the new tiki hut play house over on the well side so they had a blast.  Ella breezed through the appointment and was very relieved she didn't have to get any shots.  Ava Jane on the other hand, was really upset about her 3 shots.  Poor Baby, I felt bad.  BUT we are in the school of thought that vaccinations are for safety and that we are extremely lucky to have vaccinations readily available because they save lives.  So while it's no fun, we are SO grateful that our children have access to protection that so many children in impoverished nations do not have.  I wish every child could have the same chance.  Not trying to spark a debate here-- it's just something I feel strongly about as a parent and since this is a family/parenting blog thought I'd share my thoughts.

Anyway, the check-up went pretty well.  A couple of minor things were brought up by our doctor. Ava J has been referred to a pediatric allergist for her ongoing dairy issues. Our Dr. is hoping that an allergist will provide us with a very specific list of do's and don'ts when it comes to her eating dairy.  So we'll make that visit in the new year.  And then, Ella was referred to a pediatric opthamologist because one of her eyes is showing some weakness and may need something like a patch.  We're hoping it's nothing serious, but we will see about that too :(.  Hopefully she won't need a patch or glasses and it will be something that corrects on it's own.

As far as the stats:

Ava Jane was 95th percentile in height and 75th in weight.  She's back on the chart...her height had been off the charts, but it had slowed a little.  Ava J is starting to talk (and use 2-3 word sentences), loves to play with baby dolls, be held, and be read to.  She is an incredibly loving child with a funny sense of humor.  I think she gets her sense of humor from Brent :)  She also loves bath time, being outdoors, and still LOVES to eat.  She's SO much fun!!




Ella was 85th percentile in height and 75% in weight.  Both are girls are tall and solid!  Ella loves to read, color, paint, dance, sing, play with her friends, ride her tricycle, and play dress up.  She has a WILD imagination and loves to make believe!  She talks a mile a minute and uses phrases like "actually, I think this is a better idea" or "I don't really agree with that actually."  Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a middle schooler.  She's something else and such a joy!  Her birthday was last Tuesday and I'll post more on that another time.




All and all, we had a good check-up.  Thankful to have healthy, spunky kiddos who think that visiting the doctor is a treat.  Maybe it's because their doctor is so sweet she sang "time for your your check-up, time for your check-up" just like on Doc McStuffins.  Ella thought that was pretty AWESOME!











No comments:

Post a Comment